Last Updated on
Our editors independently research the best products online to produce this list. We may receive commission on purchases made from the links below but this will never affect our product choices.
Top 10 Best Knife Sharpeners
- SHAN ZU Stone (Editor’s Choice)
- Chef’s Choice 1520 Diamond Hone Angle (Luxury Choice)
- AnySharp with PowerGrip (Best Value)
- Mercer Culinary Genesis (Best Sharpening Steel)
- Lantana Smart Sharp (Best Manual)
- PRO Sharpener A Professionals Choice 2 Stage (Best Easy to Use)
- Wellehomi Professional (Best Non Slip)
- Amesser Kitchen (Best 3-stage)
- Victorinox Grey (Best Ergonomic)
- SHAN ZU Whetstone (Best Whetstone)
Knives such as professionally made Japanese knives, kitchen knives, serrated knives, and western-style knives all have one thing in common: they all need to be sharpened. This is because a sharp knife is vital for all of your food preparation needs.
Having sharp knives can make all the difference, from food preparation to the final presentation that you will present on the table.
So, whether you are an experienced at-home chef or a kitchen newbie, having the best knife sharpener is an essential kitchen tool to have. In this article, we shall be looking for the best knife sharpener UK stores have to offer. So read along, learn what to look for in knife sharpeners, and buy the right one that suits your needs!
Knife Sharpener Reviews
If you’re looking for sharpening stones that work with different types of knives, the Shan ZU knife sharpening stone is an ideal choice. This sharpening tool has two grits for knives; one is used for sharpening, while the other is used for honing and polishing the cutting edge.
The SHAN ZU Knife Sharpening Stone boasts a bamboo base on a nonslip silicone frame. This traditional knife sharpener also comes with a 15-degree angle guide which will help you get the perfect finish by helping you maintain the correct knife movement when sharpening a blunt knife.
Unfortunately, while this is a great choice, it does come with some disadvantages. A major drawback of this sharpener is that it can be really heavy, making it quite difficult to use.
- The manual and instructional videos are easy to follow
- Easy to use and clean
- The bamboo base has a nonslip silicone padding
- It comes with a 15-degree angle guide
- This knife sharpener can be used to sharpen various kitchen knives
- Some people may find it difficult to use
- It might be heavier for some users
- Mildew may develop on the bamboo base
The Chef’s Choice 1520 Diamond Hone Angle Select Electric Knife Sharpener is a versatile knife sharpener. This knife sharpener works well with pocket, serrated, western, sport, and Japanese knives with a three-stage sharpening system.
This sharpener comes with two angles- 20 degrees for western knives and 15 degrees for Asian knives. The angle guides on it are convenient and easy to use. It is a three-stage sharpener. This device can handle blunt and a bit dull knives.
Furthermore, all three stages on this knife use diamond abrasives that normally get finer with every slot. On the inside of this sharpener lies a magnet used to trap all the metal filings, making it easy to clean.
Meanwhile, this sharpener might be difficult to use. Also, it often does not work well with Asian-style knives.
- It can sharpen thicker and single-side knife blades
- It comes with a polishing and stropping feature
- It is adjustable to cater for 15 to 20-degree edges
- Only uses 100% diamond polishing
- It is ideal for sharpening both serrated blades and straight knives
- The diamond wheel may wear out after sometime
- It may not work well with Asian style knives
- Some users may find it complex to use
If you’re looking for a compact knife sharpener that fits easily in any kitchen drawer, then the AnySharp Knife Sharpener with PowerGrip is a solid option. This device works well with both hardened steel blades and knives with serrated edges.
Not only is this knife sharpener portable, but you can also secure it to a flat base with the help of a suction pad. Furthermore, it is available in different colourways, and it is only 60mm in height and diameter. This knife sharpener comes with a tungsten carbide grinding tool that works well for all knives.
However, you may find that the suction pad gets faulty after extended use. Also, while it is very effective for some knives, it does not work well with others.
- It can sharpen all knives
- The AnySharp Knife Sharpener with PowerGrip is a compact device
- It comes with a suction pad for safety
- Different colour options to choose from
- It’s portable thanks to its handle
- The suction pad may get faulty over time
- It may not work well with all knives
- Some users may find it not to be very effective
Are you looking for knife sharpeners that get the job done? If yes, then the Mercer Culinary Genesis Sharpening Steel is an ideal pick.
Not only does this sharpener fill the gap between basic and extreme when it comes to honing. But it also has a good design and length for handling different knives.
The Mercer Culinary Genesis honing steel features a single piece of high carbon, no-stain German X50 Cr Mo V15 that is durable and stain-resistant. Furthermore, the rod.
At 10-inches long, this steel rod comes with an ergonomic Santoprene handle with a nonslip grip. Meanwhile, its taper-ground edge provides added stability and easy honing. Additionally, it can sharpen a blunt blade back to its original condition without shaving off a lot of metal from the knife.
On the other hand, please note that the grip of this sharpener may be a bit uncomfortable as it is shorter compared to other sharpeners.
- It has an ergonomic Santoprene handle that is comfortable and easy to hold
- It can be easily cleaned and maintained
- This honing steel is impact resistant
- It has an optimal size that works well with most sized knives
- Not only is it durable, but its also sturdy
- Some users might find the grip less comfortable
- It might be shorter for some users
- Some users may find it not very effective
Stylish and functional terms best describe the Lantana Smart Sharp Knife Sharpener. Not only does it boasts a rubber handle, but it also has three grinders to give extra sharpness to knives.
The diamond grinder on this knifer sharpener is used for coarse grinding, while the Tungsten carbide is used for sharpening. And the ceramic grinder adjusts and hones the blade.
Additionally, it has a rubber base that makes it anti-skid and safe to use in any kitchen space. You can use this knife sharpener to sharpen and hone all kinds of steel knives.
While this can be considered the best knife sharper in the UK, it also has drawbacks. A major disadvantage of this model is that it does not work well with Japanese ceramic and micro-serrated knives.
- It comes with three grinders for effectiveness
- The non -slip rubber base makes it anti-skid and safe to use
- It can be used to sharpen and hone knives
- It offers a precise 20-degree sharpening angle
- It has a rubber handle for firm grip
- It may not be suitable for micro-serrated, ceramic, or Japanese knives
- Some users might find the handle too narrow to get a substantial grip
- It may not be very sturdy
If you’re looking for a sleek device made of quality steel and ABS plastic, then the PRO Sharpener professional knife sharpener is an excellent option. This sharpener comes with two grinders, tungsten carbide, and a ceramic stone to provide the perfect finish for any kitchen knife.
Tungsten is used for coarse grinding, while ceramic is used for fine grinding. It also has a nonslip base and a stainless-steel handle, making it easy to hold and use. You can use the coarse tungsten setting to sharpen knives used daily and the ceramic rod to sharpen knives that need to cut meat.
Unfortunately, it is important to note that this sharpener may not effectively sharpen ceramic knives. It may not also be that durable, making it vulnerable to breakage.
- It comes with a safe and ergonomic steel handle
- Offers two-stage sharpening method for high performance
- It is ideal for both serrated and straight blades
- The base of this knife sharpener is nonslip
- It is easy to hold and use.
- A razor-sharp blade may not be achieved
- It might not work well with ceramic knives
- This sharpener may be prone to breakage
The next on our list for the best knife sharpener in the UK is the Wellehomi Professional Knife Sharpener.
It boasts a black and red colour combination. There are two stages of knife sharpening in this sharpener; the coarse setting is used for sharpening, while the fine setting is used for finishing and polishing blades.
The ergonomic handle on this device provides you with a comfortable and easy grip. Additionally, its base is covered with a high-quality TPR mat that prevents it from slipping, thus preventing potential injuries. This also makes it ideal to be used on any flat surface in your kitchen.
Furthermore, this knife sharpener is made with quality and durable stainless steel and ABS plastic. The grinding head is also detachable from the handle for easy cleaning.
Meanwhile, this sharpener might be quite difficult to use and may require some practice before you get the hang of it.
- Has durable ABS plastic, diamond, and stainless steel design for easy cleaning and sustainability
- It is easy to use and store
- It comes with an ergonomic and nonslip safe design for relentless work
- It can be disassembled for easy cleaning
- Offers two-stage sharpening method for high performance
- Finding the ideal pressure to apply on the sharpener might take some practice
- Knives with extensive damage may not sit well with this sharpener
- It may not sit well with serrated knives.
The Amesser Kitchen Knife Sharpener comes with an ergonomically designed handle that can be used by right or left-handed individuals. This 3-stage knife sharpener can fine-tune blades and give them an excellent cutting edge.
Your blade is guided across the sharpening surface when using this knife sharpener, so you need not worry about the correct angle. Meanwhile, the rubber base provides enough safety and stability when in use. You should always keep a firm grip on the handle to avoid spilling or pivoting on the handle at the end of the base.
Please keep in mind that this sharpener does not work well with Japanese knives. However, you can use it to sharpen your ceramic knives and always use the slots in proper sequence when sharpening your knives.
- This three-stage knife sharpener is secured with a confidence-inspiring stable grip
- It comes with a three-stage design for effective fixing, honing and coarse-sharpening
- This kitchen knife sharpener comes with a cut-resistant protective glove
- Easy to store and convenient for routine upkeep
- It can be used to sharpen ceramic knives
- Achieving desired sharpness may require several passes through each step
- The safety gloves that come with this sharpener may not sit well with everyone
- It may not be effective with serrated blades and Japanese knives
Say goodbye to dull and blunt knives with the Victorinox knife sharpener that comes in a practical ergonomic shape. This knife sharpener from Victorinox boasts of a high-performing operation that ensures it serves your knife-sharpening needs for a longer period.
This handheld sharpener works well on all types of knives; serrated, Asian, European, and straight-edged knives. It uses a sharpening mechanism consisting of small V-shaped plates placed at an optimal angle inside the design’s outer structure and can be turned during sharpening.
Furthermore, this knife sharpener is safe to use as it features a finger guard that protects your fingers in case of an accidental slip. Its small size also fits easily in any kitchen drawer.
Meanwhile, please note that this sharpener may not be ideal for chisel-style knives and serrated knives.
- This handheld sharpener is safe and easy to use
- This knife sharpener gets the work done effectively
- It comes with a finger guard feature that protects your fingers during the sharpening process
- This small device works well with most knives
- It has an ergonomic handle and design
- It may not be effective on chisel style knives
- A razor-sharp edge might not be achieved
- It might not work well with serrated knives
The fact that whetstones can be used to sharpen almost all kinds of knives makes them an excellent alternative if you have a vast collection of knives.
The SHAN ZU Whetstone Knife Sharpener comprises a natural mineral known as corundum. This natural mineral is valuable for its high quality. Furthermore, it is one of the best traditional knife sharpeners UK stores offer.
It comes with a 1000 grit coarse side for sharpening and a 5000 grit finer side for finishing and polishing the edges. This knife sharpener is the perfect tool for mastering the art of honing since it is a Waterstone.
Furthermore, the SHAN ZU Whetstone Knife Sharpener comes with a 15-degree angle guide that fits well on any knife. It also assists you to maintain the correct angle when sharpening knives. The silicone base that holds the stone in place and an acacia wood base ensure that it doesn’t slip when in use. Additionally, the bespoke, quality acacia wooden box is easy to store. And it also protects the grindstone, which is BPA-free and contains no harmful bacteria.
However, whetstones are not very effective when sharpening ceramic and serrated knives.
- Its made with quality environment-friendly materials
- The bamboo and silica gel base makes it ant-skid
- The angle guide helps in maintaining the correct angle when sharpening knives
- It comes with two individual stones for sharpening and polishing
- The acacia box can also act as gift packaging
- The whetstone may not work well with ceramic and serrated knives
- Some users might find it a bit too heavy
- It might be less coarse for some users.
What to Look For in a Knife Sharpener
Be it you’re looking for a honing blade, whetstone, or an electric knife sharpener. It’s worth noting that they both have drawbacks as well as benefits. However, here are some essential factors when selecting a knife sharpener that suits your knife needs and preference.
Types of Knife Sharpeners
Here are the most common knife sharpeners you will encounter when shopping for one.
These knives sharpeners are also known as Oilstones or Japanese whetstones. Whetstones are rectangular gritty stones that generally use oil or water to sharpen their surface. These sharpeners work by sharpening the blunt blades of knives instead of curving out new ones.
Bear in mind that when using a whetstone, one may be required to repeat the sharpening process severally before desired results are achieved.
Electric knife sharpeners use a V-shaped notch to curve a new razor-sharp cutting edge into your knife compared to whetstones. These types of sharpeners are generally compact and storage-friendly.
On the other hand, electric sharpeners use a rotating wheel to sharpen and polish a new edge on your kitchen knife. They are not only quick but also they boast of being efficient. These sharpeners also allow one to pass the blade through the rotating wheel without worrying about the sharpening angle. Since most electric sharpeners come installed with a pre-set angle.
A honing blade is a long rod mainly coated with a ceramic finish. Honing rods are ideal for sharpening and straightening bent knives without chipping their metal.
Different knives sharpeners have different levels of grit. The level of grit in a sharpener determines how much metal or ceramic is shaved off when knives are sharpened.
It’s worth mentioning that manual and electric sharpeners typically come with two grit settings, while whetstones come with double-sided grit.
Here are the different levels of grit to look for in a knife’s sharpener.
This type of grit is commonly labelled as 400-800 grit. It’s generally found in honing steels. Moreover, you can also use it to hone the edges of a knife.
Knife sharpeners with medium grit are used to sharpen dull blades. This type of grit is usually labelled as 1000-3000 grit.
Knives sharpeners with coarse grit are ideal for damaged knives and blades with chips and nicks. Coarse grit usually is labelled 100 for Japanese whetstones and oilstones.
Types of Knives
It’s always wise to consider the types of knives you own when selecting a knife sharpener. Since different kitchen knives require other sharpeners, however, bear in mind that most knives sharpeners from our review sit well with standard chef knives and blades made with hardened steel.
On the flip side, it’s worth mentioning that both Japanese and serrated knives may require specific knife sharpeners that sit well with their blades.
When shopping for knives sharpener, it’s always adviser to consider its size. Bear in mind that the size of your sharpening tool may not affect its functionality, but it will affect its storage.
Compared to manual knife sharpeners, Electric sharpeners may require ample storage space. On the other hand, Whetstones can be easily stored on the counter space or in a drawer since it does not take too much space. At the same time, whetstones can be handed around the kitchen for easy accessibility.
When selecting a knife sharpener, it’s always essential to consider its different stages for sharpening. Keep in mind that the best knife sharper not only curves a new edge on your blade. But it also hones and polishes the blade giving your knife the most desirable sharpness.
When shopping for a knife sharpener, it’s always essential to consider sharpening time. Keep in mind that some knives sharpeners will get the job done promptly, while others may require some extra time or dedication during the sharpening process. However, it’s noteworthy to mention that electric sharpeners are way faster when compared to whetstones, honing rods and manual sharpeners.
Whether you are looking for the best electric knife sharpener in the UK or something more manual, you should consider if you have time to learn a technique before buying anything. Using a whetstone may require some practice before sharpening your knives to a high quality. In comparison, electric sharpeners or those with designated ‘slots’ are a lot easier to use and gain great results.
The material used in knife sharpeners will help distinguish it from the rest of the pack. Diamond is the hardest and most durable material, and sharpeners with diamond cutting edges are known to be of superior quality.
Hopefully, you will find the best knife sharpener that suits all your blades. However, if we had to pick an overall winner from our reviews, we would choose the SHAN ZU Stone Knife Sharpening Stone for our editor’s choice.
This whetstone comes with two grits for sharpening knives. One is used to sharpen, while the other is used for honing and polishing the knife edges. Furthermore, it boasts a bamboo base and a nonslip silicone frame. Furthermore, it works well with different types of kitchen knives.