Last Updated on
Our editors independently research the best products online to produce this list. We may receive commission on purchases made from the links below but this will never affect our product choices.
Top 10 Best Salt and Pepper Grinders
- Willow & Everett Tall Shakers (Editor’s Choice)
- OXO Set (Luxury Choice)
- H&S Mill Set (Best Value)
- Latent Epicure Battery Operated Set (Best Battery Operated)
- Russell Hobbs Battery Powered (Best Stainless Steel)
- JCPKitchen Premium Copper Mill Set (Best Small)
- Oliver’s Kitchen Electric Set (Best Adjustable)
- Morphy Richards 974221 (Best With Colour Options)
- Haomacro Set (Best Wooden)
- Cole & Mason H59408G Derwent
Salt and pepper are vital seasoning ingredients for any kitchen. They can completely change the taste and flavours of a dish. You need a quality salt and pepper grinder set to distribute this seasoning effectively. Grinders allow you to precisely control the amount of salt and pepper you use when cooking or that you place on your plate. In this guide, we have found the best salt and pepper grinders in the UK for your cooking adventures and nine other suitable alternatives – enjoy!
How We Compared Salt and Pepper Grinders
To find the right salt and pepper grinders we considered multiple factors, including:
- Coarseness adjustment
Our editorial team carefully researched and selected products that would suit a wide range of needs to take your kitchen experience to the next level. We set out this list after assessing customer reviews and evaluating pros and cons in line with the above comparison points.
Find more about our behind-the-scenes process here.
Salt and Pepper Grinder Reviews
If you want salt and pepper mills with a large capacity, the Willow & Everett Salt and Pepper Grinders are a great choice. These tall grinders will minimize the need to continually refill, thus reducing the unnecessary mess!
This cruet set has a large capacity due to its tall design. As a result, you should not have to refill it regularly. When you do need to refill with salt crystals or pepper, the lid simply screws off.
The body is made from elegant glass that allows you to easily see the current seasoning level. Also, the lids are made from stainless steel, which improves their longevity.
These ceramic grinders also have mechanisms that should help avoid salt and pepper deposits after use. We also like that a quality metal stand is included. The stand is minimalistic but effectively holds the cruets in place. Lastly, the coarseness is adjusted by a simple knob.
These are fantastic salt and pepper mills, but they may not be perfect. Firstly, the adjustment settings may not be the easiest and could stop working. Also, you could find that the lid for refilling is sometimes difficult to remove.
- Made from superior quality glass and stainless steel
- Includes an elegant metal stand for easy storage
- Tall design that allows for a much greater capacity
- Non-corrosive ceramic mill for effective grinding
- Has an adjustable knob to change the coarseness
- The adjustment may not be the most reliable
- Over time, you may find that the mechanism stops working
- The lid may not be the easiest to remove
The OXO Salt & Pepper Grinder Set is made from premium materials and provides an ergonomic operation and simple refilling due to its flat base.
The salt grinder and pepper grinder had a rotatable tab at the top, which can be used to adjust the coarseness. The different levels of coarseness are identified by the small black dots on the exterior. This allows you to easily adjust from large chunks to an extra fine grind. Inside, the ceramic grinder should not absorb any flavours and should also provide an effective grind every time.
Also, you can rest the cruets flat on a surface so that you do not have to hold them when trying to refill. We also like that these products have a soft turning knob with a non-slip coating. This means you can comfortably season your food and adjust the grind size with minimal effort.
Lastly, these products include a full complement of sea salt and black peppercorns.
This is a good set of salt and pepper mills, but you could find that some seasoning does spill after use. Also, the coarseness adjustment settings may not be the best quality. Lastly, the decorative metal base could occasionally fall off.
- Has a ceramic mechanism that will not absorb flavours
- The turning knob is made from soft and comfortable materials
- Clear viewing window to check on the salt and pepper levels
- It can rest flat, which makes refilling easier
- Stylish stainless steel design
- You may find a little excess seasoning falls after use
- The adjustment settings may not be the best
- You could find that the decorative metal base falls off
The H&S Salt and Pepper Grinder Mill Set are compact and could even be taken on holidays. The simple design and durable materials make these grinders a great value option.
These products are made from a combination of stainless steel and glass. The body is made from glass which lets you clearly see the current salt and pepper levels. Alternatively, the lids are made from stainless steel.
To refill, simply twist the glass to disconnect the lid. You can then easily stand the glass bodies on a flat surface to top them up.
This salt and pepper set also has adjustable grind levels. You can twist the knob and change it from coarse salt to a finer grind of salt, for example. Please note that this set does not include any salt or pepper.
These manual grinders may not be perfect, however. For example, the adjustment knob may fall off and be difficult to use. Also, this is a value set, and as a result, it may not be the most expensive-looking set for displaying on your table.
- A compact and lightweight design ideal for travel use
- Has a durable glass body and stainless steel lids
- Also has a simple manual operation
- Can get a fine powder or larger chunks using the adjustment knob
- Simple design that minimizes leaks
- The adjustment knob may not be the most reliable
- You could find that the adjustment knob can fall off
- It may not be the most stylish salt and pepper set to display on a table
If you want a no-fuss approach to seasoning, the Latent Epicure Battery Operated Salt and Pepper Grinder Set offers an excellent one-touch operation via its battery-powered motor.
For easy storage, this set comes with a complimentary mill tray. The mill tray is made from clear durable plastic, and the holding slots are slightly larger than the cruets. This means that any excess salt and pepper can fall into the tray, so you can easily dispose of them.
For operation, the salt mills and pepper mills have a battery-operated motor. To start grinding, you simply press the button on the top of the lid, and the motor will start working.
We also like the simple but elegant stainless steel design of these cruets. The body is predominantly made from stainless steel, but there is also a small glass viewing pane at the bottom. This means you can check when you need to refill.
The LED illumination is also a nice touch – this means you can illuminate your food to see exactly how much salt and pepper you are applying.
These pepper and salt grinders are great, but you need to buy batteries separately. Also, you may find the motor occasionally struggles to grind whole peppercorns. This may also result in the motor sticking during operation.
- Includes a simple mill tray to reduce kitchen mess
- One-touch operation and no manual grinding are required
- Has a simple knob to adjust the coarseness
- Includes a bright light to help illuminate food when seasoning
- High-quality salt and pepper grinders made from stainless steel
- Does not include any batteries
- Sometimes the motor may struggle to grind tough peppercorns
- You may find that the motor sometimes gets stuck during operation
If you want precision grinders that are made to last, the Russell Hobbs Battery Powered Salt and Pepper Grinders are a good option with their durable stainless steel exterior.
For freshly ground pepper, these metal grinders have a simple battery-powered operation. In the top section, there is a grinding motor. This is activated via a single touch of the button at the top. The motor will then create freshly ground salt or pepper until you release the button.
There is also a handy light on the base that helps illuminate your food or cooking when seasoning.
We like the curved stainless steel body of these precision grinders. The body is mainly stainless steel; however, at the bottom, there is also a small viewing window.
The ceramic grinding mechanism is also durable and should provide a consistent distribution of seasoning. For coarseness, you can adjust by twisting the stainless steel base below the glass viewing window.
These salt and pepper mills are excellent, but it does require 4x AA batteries for operation, and you do not get batteries as standard. Also, you could find that salt and pepper sometimes leak from the bottom.
- Includes a light on the base for excellent illumination of your food and seasoning
- Has a very high-quality stainless steel design
- Also has adjustable grind settings for fine or coarse
- Simple battery-powered operation
- Elegant design with a curved shape that fits with any kitchen decor
- AA batteries are not included
- You may find some leakage from the bottom occasionally
- The battery requirements may be a little steep
The JCPKitchen Premium Copper Salt and Pepper Mill Set are one of the smallest sets available, which makes it ideal if you have limited kitchen storage or you want a set to take with you on holidays.
The jars of these manual grinders are made from high-quality lead-free glass. Also, the lids are made from a special type of copper stainless steel. This gives them a rustic look in contrast to most modern grinders.
Each manual grinder also has a simple twisting operation in the lid. We like that the lids are magnetic – this makes a great change from the traditional screw-fit lids. In terms of capacity, the glass jars should hold 3/4 of a cup of fresh spices, but please note that spices are not included with this set.
You can also change the coarseness of other spices and salt and pepper. This is done by twisting the stainless steel copper lid. Lastly, each manual grinder is relatively small and compact – great for easy storage.
These compact salt and pepper grinders may not be perfect, however. For example, you may have to refill them frequently due to the small capacity. Also, the mechanism may require a lot of manual effort to get a decent amount of seasoning.
- Made from high-quality copper, glass, and stainless steel
- Includes a stand to keep the salt and pepper grinders organized
- The lids are magnetic for easy removal and refilling
- Simple coarseness adjustment on the lid
- Small and compact design for easy storage
- They may not have the largest capacity
- Some may find the adjustable grind mechanism difficult
- The acrylic grinder may need a lot of effort to get a decent amount of seasoning
Oftentimes you need to adjust the coarseness of your pre-ground spices and seasoning for different dishes. The Oliver’s Kitchen Electric Salt and Pepper Mill Set allow you to do this with a wide coarseness range.
For grinding salt and peppercorns, this electric grinder set has an easy one-touch operation. The motor is housed in the top section of the stainless steel body. Simply press the button at the top of the grinder to start the process.
The style of this set is also modern and elegant. We like the long stainless steel body and the small viewing window in the bottom section.
For easy viewing, this set also has a light at the bottom. It automatically turns on when you use the motor button. As a result, you can illuminate your food or dishes to control the amount of freshly ground spices.
This salt and pepper mill set does not include batteries, so you will have to buy them separately. Also, some have experienced faulty products on delivery. Lastly, the grinding mechanism may be unreliable occasionally.
- Has a stylish and solid stainless steel design
- One-touch operation for a consistent grind
- Adjustable coarseness for both salt and pepper
- Built-in LED light for outdoor use
- Viewing window to check on salt and pepper grinder levels
- Batteries are not included
- Some may find that the products are faulty on arrival
- You could find that the grinding mechanism is unreliable
If you have a colour-coded set of appliances, the Morphy Richards 974221 set offers great versatility with six stylish colour options, including red, copper, and silver.
We like that you can match these grinders to your other appliances. This is because you can choose from six stylish colours – red, copper, cream, silver, titanium, and stainless steel black.
These will match any appliance. However, the colours also specifically match the Morphy Richards range of appliances. For operation, the battery-powered motor is activated by pressing the large button at the top of the cruets. When the motor is activated, an LED also illuminates your food.
For durability, the body is made from brushless stainless steel. We also like that there is a small viewing window at the bottom. As a result, you can quickly check the level of your spices.
This is an excellent salt and pepper set, but you do not get any batteries as standard, so you will need to buy them separately. Also, the LED may stop working overtime. Lastly, it requires 6x batteries for operation, which is quite a lot.
- Available in six stylish and modern colour combinations
- Acrylic windows clearly display how much salt and paper is left
- Has a built-in LED light to show when the device is working
- Can match with other Morphy Richards appliances
- Made from brushed stainless steel
- Batteries are not included as standard
- You could find that the LED eventually stops working
- The battery usage is quite intense
Not everyone wants a modern style of the pepper grinder. As a result, the Haomacro Salt and Pepper Mill Set make a great traditional alternative with its beautiful wooden design.
This traditional set is made from solid wood and looks fantastic. The wooden body has a curved design and various engraved ridges. Also, at the bottom, there is an engraved P and S to easily identify the different spices within.
In terms of size, each manual grinder is 8-inches tall. This should provide enough capacity to avoid frequent refills. Inside, the grinding mechanism is made from ceramic. This is generally more durable than plastic and causes less contamination.
These products also have a traditional coarseness adjustment. Simply twist the metal knob on the top as required. For refilling, simply unscrew the adjustment knob and remove the wooden lid to access the main compartment.
Although this is a great set, you could find that the grinding screw loosens over time. Also, the adjustment knob may not be the easiest to use. Lastly, the darker traditional wood may not be to everyone’s tastes.
- A beautiful traditional wooden design
- The grinding mechanism is ceramic, which improves durability
- Simple P and S identification engraved on the mills
- The refill mechanism is straightforward
- Ideal size to stand on a dining table or kitchen top
- You may find that the grinding screw begins to loosen over time
- Some may find the grain adjustment tricky
- Some may not like the darker wood colour
The Cole & Mason H59408G Derwent is a stylish and modern set made from high-quality stainless steel. They also offer great functionality and an easy coarseness adjustment.
These grinders have a modern design and use both stainless steel and acrylic; the lid and base are made from stainless steel, while the body is made from clear acrylic so you can see when you need to fill up.
For adjustments, the base has a twisting dial. Simply twist the base while holding the body. There is a range of size markings on the base that show the different coarseness settings.
In total, there are six coarseness settings for freshly ground pepper and three settings for grinding salt. This should give excellent control for precise cooking.
This is a great product, but the parts are not dishwasher safe. Also, when refilling, you may find that some of the parts begin to loosen.
- Stylish contemporary design
- Made from durable stainless steel
- Precise grinding mechanisms for maximum flavour
- Has a range of pre-set grinding settings for both salt and pepper
- Easy to clean with a damp cloth
- Not dishwasher safe
- Some of the parts may come apart when refilling
- Over time, you could find that the tops begin to loosen
How to Choose the Best Salt and Pepper Grinder Set?
To finish, we have created a mini-guide on how to choose the best salt and pepper grinders. These are relatively simple devices, but there are three main considerations to make:
Manual vs Electric
Firstly, you should consider if you want a manual or electric grinder. Both have their advantages and disadvantages.
Manual grinders obviously require manual effort and more work. If you suffer from arthritis, this may not be the best option, for example. However, manual grinders are not reliant on battery power. They are also generally more reliable with no electrical parts.
In contrast, electric grinders are quicker and easier to use; they require minimum effort. However, you must purchase batteries, and sometimes you can experience electrical issues. For example, the motor could fail or get stuck. Also, this type of grinder is usually more expensive.
The capacity of grinders is also highly important. What capacity you require may depend on how many people you typically cook for. For example, if you have a larger family, you may want to purchase a set with a large capacity. This means you do not have to refill them as often.
Alternatively, if you have a smaller family, or are living alone, large capacity salt and pepper grinders may be a waste.
You may also simply opt for a larger capacity set if you don’t want the hassle of continually refilling and potentially making a mess!
Traditional vs Modern
Lastly, there are two main styles of grinder – traditional and modern.
Traditional cruets are usually made from wood. A wooden salt and pepper grinder looks fantastic, and a set like this may fit in perfectly with a rustic-themed kitchen. However, they may contrast too much with a modern kitchen.
In contrast, modern cruets are usually made from stainless steel. They also typically have a small viewing window made from glass or acrylic plastic. These grinders do not have the same charm as a wooden set. However, they do look elegant and stylish. Also, they generally match other modern kitchen appliances.
Which you choose depends on your preference, and what style of kitchen you have.
Having a set of reliable salt and pepper mills can make your dining and cooking experience that much more satisfying. Any one of the ten salt and pepper grinder reviews listed above would make an excellent addition to your kitchen.
However, our top pick is the Willow & Everett Salt and Pepper Grinders. This is a great product that offers a mix of style and functionality. The tall design means that you have a greater salt and pepper capacity. Also, the stylish stainless steel lids and stands would fit perfectly in any kitchen.